HOME P P P P P P P P P P

Poppy Seed Zucchini Muffins


We live in a house which has a shared yard with 4 other neighbours. Our house is the only one without a garden or any kind of land to grow something in. So, I really can appreciate homegrown, fresh and organic products when I do manage to get them. A week ago or so, we got a really big zucchini from our friends` garden down the street. I was thrilled! I made my zucchini and celery soup, minestrone soup and fried zucchini - it was a really big zucchini indeed. :) By the time I used all of it, I wasn`t really into eating more zucchini for at least a month, eventhough I love them. Then, we got another one so I had to think of some other way to cook it because soups were just getting boring. First, I wanted to maybe make savory zucchini muffins but the only recipes that google popped up were for sweet muffins. I remember that I had some leftover poppy seeds and decided to combine them, not knowing what the final product would taste. I was worried about that first bite, you know... It`s not like we`re used to seeing something green in our sweet muffins. Also, I was affraid that zucchini skins would get into my teeth and that would be so repulsive. Boy, was I wrong! The muffins were so much better than I expected. No taste or feel of the zucchinis - just moisture from their presence. Ok, I would never go to a store and buy a zucchini just to make zucchini muffins but if you do have a garden and quite a few zucchinis you don`t know what to do with, this is a really nice recipe to solve that problem. Seriously! :)

Ingredients

2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3 heaped tbsp poppyseeds (minced)
pinch of salt
pinch of baking soda
5 g baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of cinnamon
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup sunflower oil
2 cups finely grated zucchini

Preparation

Grate zucchinis straight into a cup and measure 2 cups. Then, leave it for 20 minutes to drain the excess water. Drain it with your hands as well. You know the usual steps in making muffins? Mix dry ingredients, and in a separate bowl wet ingredients. Pour wet ingredients into dry ones and mix just until combined. Pretty simple, right?  Now, forget that! I wanted to make it even simpler by getting all of the ingredients into a bowl (from a stand mixer) and mix it on low speed just until combined. That`s it! If you want to adjust the amount of sugar, just try a little bit of the batter. This amount of sugar was plenty for my taste. Pour the batter into 12 paper cups placed in a muffin pan. Bake 20 minutes on 190 Degrees C (it really depends on your oven).


If you do not like poppy seed, use walnuts instead.

Printable version

6 Comments:

Monika said...
July 30, 2010 at 12:24 AM

zvuči jako dobro. nisam ljubitelj maka, ali kad bih ga zamijenila recimo lješnjacima, mislim da bi ovo bio pun pogodak! :) super način za iskoristiti tikvice.

melrose said...
July 30, 2010 at 3:38 AM

Interesantna kombinacija! Pravila sam par puta kolac sa tikvicama, ali nikada sam tikvicama i makom. Probat cu (kada, kada, kadaaaaaa, imam vec 100 slatkih recepata i pravo da samo jednom tjedno pravim slatko!)!?!?

Shangri La Food said...
July 30, 2010 at 9:47 AM

tikvice obožavam, mak baš i ne.. ali kao i monika mogla bi nešto drugo ubaciti unutra :))

Nada said...
July 30, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Fino zvuče muffini, a i izgledaju jako meko i rahlo..volim i tikvice i mak..

jubistacha said...
July 30, 2010 at 11:37 PM

Ja volim muffine jer su jednostavni za napraviti a trpe razne dodatke. Jako dobra kombinacija, i ja se nadobivala tikvica ove godine. Zato sam i radila slani kolač s njima, pa lazanje i sl. Tražila sam nove i nove načine da ih upotrijebim...

Mila said...
August 2, 2010 at 3:41 PM

Jako ukusno!!!

Post a Comment