HOME P P P P P P P P P P

Bokharat - Arabic Seven Spice


You may have noticed that my favorite chef is Jamie Oliver and he is the reason I`ve become so passionate about cooking. If you love Jamie the way that I do than you absolutely addore herbs and spices (chilli and lemon, as well). Many say that he exaggerates with the amounts but I am thankful that he introduced a whole other world of flavors to me. Plain food can become special and exciting with just the right combination of herbs and/or spices. My favorite herbs are:
1. rosemary (I most frequently useit with potatoes and in foccacia),
2. parsley (I could eat it with almost every food),
3. thyme (goes great with roasted carrots and cider vinegar),
4. basil (in every meal where there are tomatoes),
5. oregano (with potato soup and of course pizza)...
I recently came across Herbes de Provence which is a mixture of dried herbes like rosemary, sage, basil, thyme, oregano, fennel and others. I mainly use it in stews every time I`m in the mood for mediterranean cousine.
Recently, I started to use more spices than before because I wanted to make a change in my typical every day meals. I found some nice recipes that required 1 key ingredient which I couldn`t find in my town - cardamom. Andrea from Voće i povrće was kind enough to send me some cardamom seeds for which I`m ever so thankful. :) I had to make something with it but didn`t won`t to cook anything so I made Bokharat - Arabic Seven Spice.



The recipe is from recipezaar and I saw the link on Andrea`s blog. Obviously, this is the first time I made this mixture of spices so I used only half of the original measurments.



I used:
1 tbsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp paprica
1 tbsp ground cumin
1/2 tbsp ground coriander seeds
1/2 tbsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinammon
1/4 tsp ground cardamom

You`ll need pestle and mortar and/or coffee grinder to get a fine powder from all of these spices. Once you have grounded all the ingredients, combine them in a coffee grinder and transfer into an airtight container. Can you imagine the aroma that was spreading all around my kitchen? :)


Now, I only have to come up with ideas for recipes to use this great mixture of spices.

Printable version

16 Comments:

Sweet Corner said...
March 1, 2010 at 9:09 PM

obozavam zacine i imam ih poprilicnu kolicinu, na neke i zaboravim :))) ova mjesavina mi se jako svidja i sad cekam daljnje recepte :)

Monika said...
March 1, 2010 at 11:41 PM

ja sam isto napravila i isprobala ovu mješavinu i oduševila se kombinacijom...okus joj je nekako predivno izbalansiran. ma divota :)

Vali said...
March 2, 2010 at 8:20 AM

Joj super! I ja sam ovo bila radila kad sam pripremala Andrein lungić s kruškama. :)

Andrea said...
March 2, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Josipa jako mi je drago da je kardamom već u upotrebi i da si ga iskoristila baš za ovu kombinaciju. Ovo je tako izvrsna mješavina začina da se može dodati u bilo koje jelo, a kako je tek mirisna. :)
Kiss i javi ako ti pofali kojeg začina. :)

Nada said...
March 2, 2010 at 12:01 PM

Super su mi ti Arapski začini i baš razmišljam kako imam sve te sastojke i kako bi mogla probati ih izmješati, odlično si se sjetila..

melrose said...
March 2, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Ovo zvuci odlicno, mogla bih i ja napraviti (taman imam dovoljno zaliha).

Shangri La Food said...
March 2, 2010 at 4:16 PM

sjajna ideja za izmiksati :)

Tadeja said...
March 3, 2010 at 7:26 AM

I meni se čini sjajna mješavina, a kao i Sweet corner, potrpam toga svugdje, na kraju neke i poduplam jer zaboravim da ih imam! Stvarno bih i ja mogla smućkati od svega što imam! :)

Tadeja said...
March 3, 2010 at 7:28 AM

Sad ne znam jel' već prošao komentar ili ......izludit će me ti komentari! Uglavnom, napisah da je mješavina odlična i da bih sa svim svojim zalihama i ja mogla pokušati nešto smućkati! :)

Vera said...
March 3, 2010 at 9:56 PM

Moraću isprobati ovu mesavinu,i inače obozavam začine!

rijecankaudublinu said...
March 7, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Jamie Oliver je zakon :-) Jesi li ikad probala stavidi cardamon seed u kavu?

Josipa said...
March 7, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Hvala svima! :)
rijecankaudublinu, nisam to nikad probala jer ne pijem kavu, a i sad sam tek prvi put uspjela nabaviti kardamom... ali mogla bih probati gostima staviti malo da vidim reakciju :)

Sandy said...
March 7, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Hey, is there room for another foodie in here?
I just came across your blog (anything related to food attracts me) even though I'm kinda on a postpartum diet right now trying to shed off the baby weight :D but I'm still enjoying food in moderation. I use this seven spices mixture a lot in my cooking since my husband and I are both half-arabic. Have you tried making kibbeh? these spices go really great with it!

Josipa said...
March 7, 2010 at 1:48 PM

Sandy, any foodie is welcome here ;) I didn´t try kibbeh but now I`m really interested so I`ll google it up :) Thanks for suggesting it!

Sandy said...
March 9, 2010 at 6:48 PM

your welcome and thanks :) Kibbeh is a traditional lebanese food made from minced meat (could be lamb or beef, your choice) and bulgur. It's so yummy! I adore all lebanese food (my husband is lebanese) it's so healthy yet full of flavors and colors, they use a lot of veggies and spices in their kitchen. Just google lebanese cuisine or food and you will see what I mean. I'd be glad to see some of it on your blog!

Anonymous said...
December 31, 2010 at 11:30 PM

I have a cafe with my brother and we have a different special everyday. I told my brother that i had some 7 spice at home and use it to make koftas, long meatballs with ground garlic and chopped fine onions and parsley, salt, pepper and lots of 7 spice, and a little lemon juice. form them into long cylinders and grill them on a bbq or pan sear them. served on pita bread or tortilla, spread with garlic mayo or tsatsiki, lettuce, tomato and chopped cucumbers,roll it up and i like to put it in a pannini press just to gett the grill marks. OMG! sold out in 1/2 an hour. we now have this for our friday special. i promise it is awesome! ps, i love jamie too.

Post a Comment